Saturday, December 4, 2010

A wind fall- Thank you Harry and Ethel for the apples.

“Hey farmer, farmer, put away your DDT
I don't care about spots on my apples,
Leave me the birds and the bees –

Oh won’t you please?

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got till it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot
Hey now, they've paved paradise to put up a parking lot” Joni Mitchell- Big Yellow Taxi

For the record I am not a fully organic gardener but I do use very minimal amounts of chemicals as far a fertilizers and pesticides- and none if I can get away with it.  As you can see from the pictures we don’t care about spots on our apples. There are two apple trees on the farm that my grandparents planted the spring of 1942 shortly after they bought it in the fall of 1941.  My dad called me one day in late summer to say they had a wind storm and there were piles of wind fall apples on the ground from the tree in the front yard. Clint, the kids, and I drove over and picked up several bushel. We brought them home, cut out the bad spots, made chunky apple sauce with cinnamon and honey, an canned it. We canned 34 pints of it. The house smelled absolutely delicious the entire time we were cooking it on the stove. Clint and I were sitting across from each other at the kitchen table- he was coring and slicing and I was peeling and cutting out bad spots when he said “Thank you Harry and Ethel” I looked at him for a minute when I realized he was talking about my grandparents. Yes thank you Grandpa and Grandma Medford for the apple sauce. The only question we have left is what kind of apple is it? My dad doesn’t know. Our current best guess is Northern Spy based on it’s appearance, location, and year it was planted. Other guesses are welcomed.

One dish meal#2, caelun framed, dad's apple by the house 022 One dish meal#2, caelun framed, dad's apple by the house 018 One dish meal#2, caelun framed, dad's apple by the house 019 One dish meal#2, caelun framed, dad's apple by the house 020 One dish meal#2, caelun framed, dad's apple by the house 021

No comments:

Contributors