Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Grandpa And A Ferret In A Pear Tree- Or 3 Pear Trees To Be Exact.

“I like trees because they seem more resigned to the way they have to live than other things do.”  Willa Cather

There is a single pear tree- a seckel pear to be specific-at our family farm. It is at least 50 feet tall and has been there for probably 60 plus years. We decided it needed some company. In an effort to give to the future generations as my grandparents gave me the apples I still make into apple sauce every year, I am planting fruit trees. I hope that these trees grow and my children can pick them in the fall of some future year with their grandchildren. The trees we chose are a bosc, a bartlett, and a moonglow. I got standards because they are more hardy and they have a longer life span. Here is to pears for desert… some day.

Grandpa Bob and Caelun help me dig the holes. We brought water down in pails.

butterflies and tree planting 052butterflies and tree planting 053butterflies and tree planting 054butterflies and tree planting 055

Wait I thought I was planting trees not Cae-Caes

butterflies and tree planting 056butterflies and tree planting 057

Oh such glorious mud!

butterflies and tree planting 058butterflies and tree planting 059butterflies and tree planting 060

For folks familiar with the farm this is behind and to the east of the back of the garage and extends to behind the old barn- basically in a row.

butterflies and tree planting 061

The tall tree to the left of center is the seckel pear. They should be in good cross pollination range

butterflies and tree planting 062butterflies and tree planting 063butterflies and tree planting 064butterflies and tree planting 066

 

butterflies and tree planting 067butterflies and tree planting 068

We water them in and pack it down.

butterflies and tree planting 069butterflies and tree planting 070butterflies and tree planting 071butterflies and tree planting 072

No comments:

Contributors