Monday, January 3, 2011

Gobble ‘till you wobble- Thanksgiving 2010

I should open with I LOVE Thanksgiving. It is a holiday about counting your blessings, hanging out with those you love and of course who can forget the FOOD. My brother Jim, his wife Jene, and there kids and grandkids come to Thanksgiving at my dad’s every other year. This was the off year so our Thanksgiving was relatively quiet. It was just my parents, my little clan, and our dear friend Dawn who has spent every Thanksgiving with us since her folks moved to Kansas when we were back in college. There may have only been 7 of us but that didn’t stop my dad from making enough food for an army. Clint and I have started making the turkey and bringing it over in a roaster that last couple of years since it is a bit heavy to lift but my dad does all the rest- and I mean ALL. In addition to our 17 pound turkey and stuffing with pan gravy my dad made: a ham, mashed potatoes, Harvard beets, candy yams, baked beans, Waldorf salad, coleslaw, tossed salad,corn, peas, broccoli, homemade cranberry sauce, rolls and cornbread. That didn’t include the relish and vegetable trays or the pies. Clint said to me after dinner- “honey my pants and I are no longer on speaking terms”- yeah that about sums it up. All of us counted our many blessings and then ate until I thought cranberries and turkey would pop out of our ears. I think Abbi ate her weight in Turkey and Caelun – well he just ate everything. Dawn and our little brood still went home with giant doggie bags and I didn’t cook for a couple of days. It was glorious on all accounts. I hope all of you found as many blessings to count as we did come sit at our table – there are extra seats and food a plenty.

The spread

 Thanksgiving and the day after 001

There is so much food I am surprised the shear weight of it didn’t collapse the table.

  Thanksgiving and the day after 003

There is our Abbi girl turning away from the “momarazzi”

Thanksgiving and the day after 004

My dear friend Dawn with Clint and Dawn is taking a picture of me taking a picture of her.

Thanksgiving and the day after 005

One of Caelun’s favorite things to do at Grandpa Bob’s- I spy…

Thanksgiving and the day after 006 Thanksgiving and the day after 007 Thanksgiving and the day after 008

There are even more things to investigate on the ground.

Thanksgiving and the day after 009 Thanksgiving and the day after 010

Time for the turkey… Dawn watches as my dad carves.

Thanksgiving and the day after 011 Thanksgiving and the day after 012 Thanksgiving and the day after 013

There is our 2 fisted eater- Cae- Cae with a clean plate.

Thanksgiving and the day after 014 

Thanksgiving and the day after 016Thanksgiving and the day after 015

His shirt says “Gobble ‘till You Wobble” and I think we all did. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Contributors