Sunday, January 16, 2011

The cottage next door.

My friends and family that are on facebook have been following this adventure but much of my family and lots of my friends don’t use facebook so I feel a need to detail this here on the blog as well. We -meaning my parents and myself- bought a house 2 doors away from Clint and I. My folks currently reside at our family farm but the farm house isn’t really equipped for older folks and it is really out in the country. It is on 40 acres which already makes their neighbors quite distant and then several of the “near by” folks have moved and left their houses vacant really leaving my folks quite isolated. My dad just turned 85 at the end of December and my mother will be 75 in February and has some health issues. My dear husband got this idea when he saw several foreclosed houses in our neighborhood. I should probably preface this idea with a statement of good fortune for the amazing neighbors we have that make this seem like a good idea. We have the most FABULOUS neighbors. Clint calls it the “Fifth Street commune” but these folks are really like a second family. At any rate we saw this house 2 doors down come on the market and after some negotiating we bought it.  The house needed plumbing work and came with no appliances but we got it for less than the cost of 1 year of assisted living. We aren’t selling the family farm- we don’t intend to ever sell it. I make this statement to alleviate any concerns some folks may have. A friend’s 9 year old son was very concerned when he heard my folks were moving here- “But if Grandpa Bob moves to Cedar Springs who will take care of his tractor and where will we have our egg hunt at Easter?” No worries the farm is here to stay. Clint and I also hope to be able to more easily make improvements there when we and my folks have the ability to walk away and sleep in a non-work destructed house. Everyone who has done remodeling while trying to live in a house knows what I am talking about. I think my folks intend to go back and forth this is simply an alternative to assisted living as needed. At any rate let me give you a tour and let you know there will be LOTS of future posts as we make improvements and get it ready for them to move into. The house is a basic craftsman cottage from we believe the 1930’s but the deed is a bit fuzzy on the date. It has a mostly open floor plan with all of the required amenities- master bedroom, bathroom, laundry facilities on the main floor. The door ways are relatively wide and there is a garage. These were requirements when we were looking for a house. As a bonus we got 2 upstairs bedrooms, a good sized yard- for being in town- and a pole barn. Yes a pole barn- Clint can hardly contain himself. He has visions of he and my dad out there with lots of power tools all around them.The best part of this house is it’s proximity to ours. We can see each other out our windows. You will see what I mean when you take the virtual tour. Come on along- I would offer you some coffee or a snack but we don’t have a coffee maker yet- or a fridge for that mater.

The kitchen

 mom and dad's house 001 

mom and dad's house 027

 

The dining room.

mom and dad's house 003 

A view from the dining room  to the living room and up the stairs.

mom and dad's house 005

A place for a stove in the dining room. Dad is thinking a wood stove.

mom and dad's house 006

From the dining room  out the kitchen.

mom and dad's house 007

The first bathroom. These pictures are from the day we signed the purchase agreement and the heat had just been turned on- which is why my helper is all bundled.

mom and dad's house 008 mom and dad's house 009 mom and dad's house 010 mom and dad's house 011

The second bathroom/laundry room that isn’t finished but we intend to finish it.

mom and dad's house 012

Laundry facility hook up.

mom and dad's house 013

Living room

mom and dad's house 015 mom and dad's house 016 mom and dad's house 017 mom and dad's house 018

Master bedroom

mom and dad's house 019 mom and dad's house 020 mom and dad's house 021      

Heading up the stairs.

mom and dad's house 028 mom and dad's house 029

mom and dad's house 030

The front bedroom upstairs with cute eyebrow windows.

 mom and dad's house 031 mom and dad's house 032 mom and dad's house 033

Knee walls with lots of storage.

mom and dad's house 046

mom and dad's house 045

The back bedroom upstairs with a knee wall and a great play nook. Caelun has it all planned out you can tell.

mom and dad's house 034  mom and dad's house 035 mom and dad's house 036 mom and dad's house 037 mom and dad's house 038  mom and dad's house 040 mom and dad's house 041 mom and dad's house 042

Back downstairs

mom and dad's house 043

 

The dining room again

mom and dad's house 047 

mom and dad's house 048 mom and dad's house 049

Back to the kitchen.

mom and dad's house 050 mom and dad's house 051 mom and dad's house 052

The best part… look through the dinning room window… the red house..

mom and dad's house 053  

…the red house is our house. The neighbors with the play place are friends and we have a gate between my folks and their yard.

mom and dad's house 056 mom and dad's house 057 

Here here for the cottage next door!

2 comments:

Rob said...

I reckon that should be happy living there as it looks a nice place with plenty of room.

Kifus said...

My Pam, what a great buy! I'm sure your parents will be thrilled to live so close to you, and I look forward to seeing all your renovations. Keep the photos coming!

Caelun looks so cute in his winter clothing!

Have a great week, Pam!

Contributors