Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Cherries, Strawberries, and Currants Oh My

We have 3 dwarf cherry trees on our city lot along with a small strawberry patch in the front yard and a currant bush that has increased in size every year. I love berry  and cherry picking in our own yard. Besides the benefits of knowing where you food originated, being lower in pesticides, and being free- lets not forget free, I like having my kids see directly where food comes from. These strawberries, cherries, and currants all came from  plants right out side our door. We planted them, watched them grow, and harvested them when they were ready. My son’s preschool teacher has been surprised at his level of understanding about where strawberries, cherry pie, etc.. come from when reading ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’ by Eric Carle. I think it helps us to stay connected to the origins of our food and if I can make that happen for my kids I want to do that.

Cherries

cherries, strawberries, currants 007cherries, strawberries, currants 008cherries, strawberries, currants 011cherries, strawberries, currants 012cherries, strawberries, currants 013

Currants

cherries, strawberries, currants 014cherries, strawberries, currants 015cherries, strawberries, currants 016

The harvest.

cherries, strawberries, currants 018

Strawberries

cherries, strawberries, currants 022

Cherries

cherries, strawberries, currants 021

Currants

cherries, strawberries, currants 020

Yum!

cherries, strawberries, currants 023cherries, strawberries, currants 024

Look at all we picked.

cherries, strawberries, currants 025

It smells so good.

cherries, strawberries, currants 026

No comments:

Contributors