Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sending Natasha off to college wrapped up in love.

When I was in college in the early 90’s a friend of mine- Karin- taught me and several other friends- Melissa, Dawn,… and I can’t remember who else- to crochet. As a practical process of all of us being able to learn a variety of stitches and still having something of actual use at the end I bought a bunch of yarn and suggested that we make squares to be attached together into a crazy quilt of sorts, and that is exactly what happened. The emphasis being on the word crazy of course. I have since crocheted dozens and dozens of scarves and  blankets in every shape, size, color,and type of stitch. My friends and I completed college and spread from FL to CA but this blanket continued to live with me, keeping me warm while reading books on chilly winter afternoons. That is until now. My God-Daughter Natasha just graduated from high school this past June and is embarking on her own college adventure At Baker. Baker has apartments rather than the more traditional dorms and you need to equip them just like you would if you were living in any other apartment. Knowing this to be the case we started amassing things for her and in that process I came across this blanket. I thought what better way to keep her warm and send her some love and luck from other college students who walked in her shoes. I had her hold it up and we took a picture before loading it up with the silverware, towels, and pots and pans. Love you dear- study hard and stay warm.blanket 001

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely blog post and what a blast from the past! Glad to hear you're still crocheting. Me too, and taught some boys (7 & 14) and girls (my big sisters) over the summer. -Karin Chekirda

Rob said...

Hi Pam, thanks for the comment you left me in which you said, 'They are saying 6-8 inches of lake effect' Can I ask what you mean about 'lake effect' as I haven't heard of that here.

Clint said...

Karin- I haven't done much since Caelun was born - one baby blanket I think for Clint's sister but as he gets bigger I imagine it will get easier to fit in.

Rob- I am not sure how familiar you are with the geography of the US. Where I live in the state of Michigan we are surrounded by lakes. By we I mean the entire state. If you look at a map of the US MI is in the right and looks like a mitten of land surrounded by water. These lakes are called The Great Lakes. You actually can't see across them. Cedar Springs is about 45 minutes driving from Lake Michigan. What happens is the water in the lake gets warm in the summer- over 70 degrees F actually. When winter comes and the cold air masses come down from Canada they blow across the warm water of the lake. The cold air is dry and as it warms it sucks up the moisture off the lake. When the air mass hits land it cools because the land is cooler and it drops that moisture in the form of snow. Feet of snow usually. The further inland you get the less snow you get.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Michigan
http://www.google.com/images?q=lake+effect+snow&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=o3f1TKbhAoGingfi-IipCQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDUQsAQwAg&biw=1280&bih=566

Kifus said...

Wow! That blanket is crazy, but gorgeous crazy! Love it! Wishing Natasha all the best!

Contributors