Sunday, November 21, 2010

Back at home time to get to work- trying to help our very old, sad garage.

Or garage is a very sad sad building. It is crooked, has dry rot in many of the boards, except where new boards were put in to replace where the previous owner drove through the back of it, and is in need of a new roof and floor. We would consider tearing it down and starting form scratch but it is so close to the lot line we can’t rebuild it under the current zoning codes so we need to fix it as best we can.  It is also now the really wrong color since we put brick red siding on our house. I decided for a summer project I would power wash it, prime it, and paint it to match the house. Squaring it up, a new roof and a new floor will have to wait for another summer. I used left over paint from other projects to prime. All told I used 12 gallons of paint. It took me a couple of weeks but it looks tremendously improved and at least now matches the house. Come see what you think.

The front before I started.

 Levi eagle-Abbi b-day-shed-garage 196

The south side- you can see the incongruence to the house.

Levi eagle-Abbi b-day-shed-garage 197

The back- to the west. This was hard to get good pictures of because of how close it is to the neighbor’s fence.

Levi eagle-Abbi b-day-shed-garage 213

The back again from the opposite corner. This is the new section replaced after the previous owner drove through it.

Levi eagle-Abbi b-day-shed-garage 211

The north side.

Levi eagle-Abbi b-day-shed-garage 198

Then I power washed…

This is the back. You can really tell the difference from the 15 year old wood where it was replaced to the 50+ year old wood.

Levi eagle-Abbi b-day-shed-garage 214

Newer wood to the left and original, older wood to the right.

      Levi eagle-Abbi b-day-shed-garage 215

garage-shed 007

This is me with the blow back from the power washer. Don’t do this on a day you don’t want to get wet…and dirty.

Levi eagle-Abbi b-day-shed-garage 220

Look at the line form my socks and shoes.

     Levi eagle-Abbi b-day-shed-garage 225 Next I start to prime- yep that is lavender.

Levi eagle-Abbi b-day-shed-garage 206

I used up the lavender rounding the corner so I moved on to a red a neighbor gave me that is almost the final coat color.

Levi eagle-Abbi b-day-shed-garage 207

  garage-shed 005  

Next I had a brighter shade of purple when the red ran out. I had a couple of people get concerned at this point that this might be what I was actually planning for the garage.
As crazy as it is it is better than it was.

garage-shed 017

Rounding the back I took out the old fan that was in the window but boarded over on the inside and switched to a deep plumb when the bright purple was used up.

garage-shed 014

I got better coverage here on the newer wood.

 garage-shed 012

 garage-shed 013

We switched to a salmon and a light peach on the west side. My neighbor’s granddaughter Emily came to help along with my wonderful friend Pam and Emily had great fun writing all our families names in paint.

garage- trees at dad's 001

Next up the actual color minus the trim. garage- trees at dad's 002 

garage- trees at dad's 003

   more garage 002 more garage 003  

more garage 005

  

 New England vacation part 7 Buffalo NY botanic gardens & garage 017 New England vacation part 7 Buffalo NY botanic gardens & garage 018 New England vacation part 7 Buffalo NY botanic gardens & garage 019

And with some trim.

New England vacation part 7 Buffalo NY botanic gardens & garage 021

New England vacation part 7 Buffalo NY botanic gardens & garage 020

It took us thee tries on the accent caramel color to get it right.

carmel color #2 -siding west side of house 011

We have more to do to it but I think it is decidedly less sad now. What do you think?

No comments:

Contributors