Sunday, July 11, 2010

Irises- flags of many colors

  My name is Pamela and I have an iris addiction. They say the first step is knowing you have a problem but I think I am not really looking for a cure. Part of being a gardener is being a collector. This is a way of collecting things that I don’t have to trip over in the house and I don’t have to dust. Clint – who had never done irises before we got married- was astounded at the variety and range of colors. I have to say I have corrupted him and he is now an iris addict as well. I counted and there are 19 different irises in this post and yep they are all growing in my yard. I actually just planted a new one I got from a friend yesterday and I am headed to another friends to trade some blackeyed susans for another one I don’t currently have. I get most of my flowers this way. I trade, barter, and beg if necessary. I promise I won’t quit my job an stay home sniffing irises all day. Besides- they mostly only bloom in June. I will have to move on to another addiction like day lilies, roses, or some new ones like columbines or hosta. For now take a stroll and appreciate the addicts range if nothing else.

irises 002 

This one is one Clint and I bought at the Chicago Botanic Garden. It is supposed to be red, white, and blue but we decided it is more like orange, white, and pale lavender.

irises 004 

This blueish purple one is probably the most ruffled iris I have.

 irises 006 irises 034

This purple and white one is Clint’s favorite.

irises 007

 

 irises 008irises 017

This one gets so heavy it tends to tip over. I guess I will need to stake it in the future.

irises 003

 irises 009 irises 015

 

irises 045

irises 010irises 005

irises 001

irises 032   irises 004

These are kind of a gray-ish pink but it doesn’t completely read in the picture.

irises 008

irises 013  

irises 018

      irises 009          irises 019      irises 021

irises 042

irises 024

         irises 040    irises 041

The dramatic black background is the solar heater for our pool –funny I know.

No comments:

Contributors