Sunday, July 4, 2010

I got a new fridge!

Let me share the saga of my fridge. When I first moved into my house 11 years ago I didn’t have any money for appliances. I put everything I had down on the house and the house didn’t come with any appliances. None. No dishwasher, stove, washer, dryer, or fridge. I was moving from an apartment I didn’t own any of those appliances and being a 2 story walk up-therefore also didn’t own a lawn mower which was something else required in my new abode. I had lots of things to buy. A friend’s parents were updating their fridge after 30 years and gave me their old one. It would periodically make a high pitched squealing noise until you unplugged it and plugged it back in but at the time it kept my food cold and let me move other appliances to the top of the priority list. By the end of 2 years I had obtained the other needed appliances and could actually start upgrading some of them. The first was the fridge. I saved up and bought the top of the line, super energy efficient, ice and water in the door, 26 cubic ft. model from Kenmore for $1700 dollars. Yep I know a real splurge. I was ecstatic. I made all my neighbors come and look at it. It cut my electric bill in half and I had room for all the left-overs from the cooking I love to do. The year it came off warranty it quit working. I called Sears and they were so sorry and for $250 they would put me on a waiting list to have it looked at in about 2 weeks. It was July. I was dating my now husband at the time and as one of his feats of greatness that made me know I needed to marry him- he fixed it. Then it quit again and he couldn’t fix it but we found a local repair man who could. Then it broke again and the repair man sort of fixed it but couldn’t get the part he needed to completely fix it so we limped along. Then it died.  It was mid debate season and I didn’t feel like I had the time, the money, or psychic energy to go shopping for a new one. In stepped our fabulous next door neighbor who had an extra in his garage and we were back in fridge at least temporarily. The friend said we could keep the fridge- he had 2 others but it wasn’t what I wanted long term. For Christmas my parents asked me what I wanted and I said money toward a new fridge. I told the hubby to put some aside from what he would have spent as well. Spring rolled around and my birthday and Mother’s Day rolled in. Time to buy a fridge. Again the amazing hubby found an amazing deal – stainless steel, sided by side, super energy efficient, 23 cubic ft., ice and water in the door, delivered to our door, $800. Woohoo! The neighbor didn’t want his fridge back so we now have an extra one in the garage. Life is grand! Come take a tour of my pretty new fridge before we get it all fingerprinted up.

Abbi band caelun sheets new fridge 097 Abbi band caelun sheets new fridge 098 Abbi band caelun sheets new fridge 099

Abbi band caelun sheets new fridge 100 They had to go in the back door because our ancient front door is too small – even with the doors of the fridge off and taking the door off the house.

 Abbi band caelun sheets new fridge 102 

 Abbi band caelun sheets new fridge 105

Ain’t it purty?

Abbi band caelun sheets new fridge 107

1 comment:

Kifus said...

Congratulations Pam on your new (well stocked by the looks of it!) fridge! I can so relate to what happened to you with the first one. I had the same issue with my washing machine. I firmly believe some household appliances have a hidden timer which goes off on the day the warranty expires. And so your appliance either gets seriously ill or it dies.

I'm glad it's all over now! Bet Caelun has dutifully left his little fingerprints all over it by now!

Cheers!

Contributors