Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Great Pumpkin







November 19, 2007

Halloween has come and gone. We didn’t have very many trick or treaters this year-26 to be exact. It poured down rain for the first hour an a half of the designated time here in our little burg. Caelun was a pumpkin. He went around to the neighbors tricking, no treating. Alas it is hard to eat candy with out any teeth. That didn’t stop dear “Grandpa” Ed McIntyre from slipping him a Milky Way bar on the way out the door.

Thanksgiving is knocking on our door. Dad Medford is once again making his amazing spread. I offered to make the pies and his response was, “you don’t want to go to all that work”- because of course it isn’t work for him. Any way I didn’t protest. I am fine with letting some one else cook for a day. I love Thanksgiving. It is probably my favorite holiday. Everyone can celebrate it. It has no specific religious affiliation. You don’t have to buy any presents and the main focus is to take stock and be thankful for what you have while eating lots of wonderful food. Sounds like a good gig to me. FHC doesn’t have school this whole week before Thanksgiving so last weeks improv Friday was a one minute speech on what are you thankful for? I asked them to think outside the norm of the things like family, friends, health ect… some on the list…

Ramen noodles

Pets

Good fitting jeans

The perfect shade of lipstick

Having a car

Cheesecake

Chocolate

Shrimp

Sugar free gum

Music

Clean air

It is fun to see what the teenagers are thinking. I always do my own little inventory this time of year. I am of course thankful for my family, students and co-workers, friends, community, health, house, ect... My dad grew up with out running water or electricity. I think about those sorts of things. Some things I am thankful for:


Hot showers

Flannel sheets

Automatic heat

Antibiotics

Vaccinations

Twenty four hour a day grocery stores

Insulation

Washing machines

Laptop computers

The internet

Velcro

Plastic

Disposable diapers

Good coffee

Fresh fruit in the winter

Paint that comes in virtually any color I can imagine

Photographs and video

The mums outside my window that insist on continuing to bloom

No comments:

Contributors