Monday, May 10, 2010

Roses and a tractor.

It was a beautiful spring day and I bought my mother a rose bush for mom’s day. Living in MI growing roses can be a challenge. When Clint and I were first dating he showed me his Canadian Explorer winter hardy roses and I was hooked. We now have a well established winter hardy rose garden and I am on to starting one for my parents. This means I am always on the hunt for winter hardy, own root roses. They are harder to find than one would think. Clint and I went to the local plant nursery armed with a book on MI roses and the internet and we walked away with a Purple Pavement or Rotesmeer rose bush. Last year I got a Julia Child rose that wintered over very nicely and now has some company. The roses are visible for my folks from their deck. While we were there we pulled a dead tree and did some general clean up. Caelun enjoyed ever minute was a lovely afternoon. come by you can ride the tractor.

 a day a tthe farm and more blue light 001

Clint digs the hole for the rose with some help.

a day a tthe farm and more blue light 002

    a day a tthe farm and more blue light 005 

a day a tthe farm and more blue light 006

“Almost deep enough dad- keep digging”

a day a tthe farm and more blue light 003

a day a tthe farm and more blue light 004

a day a tthe farm and more blue light 007

“Grandpa’s tractor is so cool- well as long as I am a little bit away. It is also really big”

 a day a tthe farm and more blue light 008 a day a tthe farm and more blue light 009 a day a tthe farm and more blue light 010 a day a tthe farm and more blue light 011

   “Grandma do you like the tractor?”a day a tthe farm and more blue light 014

  a day a tthe farm and more blue light 012

“It is so much fun to climb down Grandpa’s steps to the garden, run around the willow tree, up the hill, and back down the steps again! It never gets old- Hi lilac bush on the way by.”

 

a day a tthe farm and more blue light 017

 

a day a tthe farm and more blue light 020

Grandpa’s double lilacs are really spectacular this year. You can smell them the whole time you are running down the steps and up the hill. Stop by you can even walk if you like.

4 comments:

Bob said...

Hi Pam, it looks like you all had a fun day. It mades all the difference when the sun shines. By the way, just out of interest there is a new way of thinking when it comes to planting shrubs and trees and that is to make the hole square that way the roots can break out of the hole easier than if the hole is round as they have a tendancy to keep following the hole round and round instead of spreading out their roots. Bob.

Clint said...

Thanks for the tip :-) We are hoping to go tree shopping this Friday and plant the replacement this Sat. I will plant it in a square hole :-)

Chrissie said...

Lovely pics, I wish I had the energy to race around the willow and up and down the steps ha :-).

Clint said...

Chris my 84 year old dad keeps saying the same thing. :-)

Contributors