Thursday, May 27, 2010

Forensics State Finals- Fire Up Chips!

This post is a bit late in coming. Most of the kids bugged out before awards to make it back in time for prom so I collected their hardware. I have been trying to get a picture of them with their plaques and trophy but we just can’t seem to get them all together. For the sake of continuity I will post what I have and tell you about the rest.

Forensics State Finals was held at Central Michigan University this year which also happens to be my Alma Modder.  I did debate and forensics as well as preformed in theater and dance productions in my time at CMU. One of my former theater professors recognized some of my students from following our season on facebook and delighted in showing them pictures of me performing that are currently posted on the walls there. The kids also got to meet Dr. Ed Hink my debate and forensics coach from my time at CMU. As a team we had our best state finals to date. I had four that qualified but one, Rachel, couldn’t go because of a conflict with the SAT. That left Andy our witty extemper, Jen our intelligent impromptu, and Talya our inspiring orator.  Caden who did informative and Erin who did extemp but is switching categories to storytellying next year came along to cheer on the qualifiers and get ideas for next year.

Our final finish had everybody- yes EVERYBODY breaking to semi-final round placing them in the top twelve in the state. They all actually placed in the the top ten and Talya broke to final round finishing sixth. Caden seemed to really enjoy CMU so we turned it into a bit of a college visit for him but I get to keep him for one more year because he is a junior. The weather was beautiful and it was really wonderful to bring my kids to the school I attended. I was proud of them and my school. Come stroll with us around the campus and remember to cheer for the forensics kids and for CMU- Fire Up Chips!

forensics state finals 009

Unloading suits and tubs at Moore Hall. forensics state finals 010    The Groves HS rented bus sporting some sprit.forensics state finals 014

Andy and his fellow extempers enjoy some pizza outside The Dow Science Building.

 forensics state finals 015 

The commons at the University Center (UC)

forensics state finals 017

Andy brought his friend and fellow competitor Catherine in class BCD from City High (we are in class A) A rose on the final day of competition.

forensics state finals 018  forensics state finals 020 forensics state finals 021

This is where much of the competition was but it is also where I took many of my classes when I attended school here as both an undergraduate and graduate student.

Moore Hall

forensics state finals 023

The weather was amazing and so were the flowering trees.

forensics state finals 024

     Erin, Caden, and Jen outside Moore on the 2nd day of competition.forensics state finals 032

And the posts…

Semis-

Jen- IM13 Tiche

  forensics state finals 034 

Talya- OR26 Slawforensics state finals 036

Andy-  EX26 Wirth

forensics state finals 039

Talya hangs out with some fellow orators.

   forensics state finals 042

We await finals posting

  forensics state finals 044   forensics state finals 047  forensics state finals 049 forensics state finals 050 

The kids still waiting and the kids view of the postings.

forensics state finals 052 

Dr. Ed Hink my college debate and forensics coach and me. 

  forensics state finals 057

The university seal outside of Warner Hall

forensics state finals 058 

Caden took my picture in my alumni shirt next to the seal as we waited for awards.

 forensics state finals 061

The awards

forensics state finals 062 

My friend and colleague John Lawson received a coaches award.

forensics state finals 064     One of the teams – team shirts.

I didn’t get pictures of the plaques and trophies or Talya’s posting to finals but they did win them and she did break. It was a great finish and a nice trip for me down memory lane as well as a nice opportunity to show off my kids.

2 comments:

Kifus said...

Hi ho Pam! Congrats to you and your students! These are lovely pics and a great way to remember the fun and excitement you all had. I love the pics of Andy hugging Catherine and your pic next to the seal and under those fantastic trees.

BTW, what's Caelun been up to lately? Any mischief to report? A great week to you Pam!

Clint said...

Thanks it is always great to Go back to your old college/university. I have been remiss in my blogging of late. More Caelun antics are coming up. Thanks for asking :-)

Contributors