Friday, June 27, 2008

Vacation Part I- Rover goes to Niagara Falls

Do you remember the part where I said we were all leaving to far flung parts of the globe? Well that included us. We headed out for vacation on Tuesday after the wedding. Jerry and Amy Hall watered the garden and Bryer Velting fed the fish and the cats and cleaned the kitty commode. In exchange for these services we brought back maple syrup, wild flower seeds, and for Bryar specifically a fossilized dinosaur tooth from the marble quarry. Abbi picked out the pointy-est one. We loaded up the mini van and headed out. First stop Niagara Falls- the Canadian side. This is also the first opportunity you have had to meet Rover. Rover is our travel mascot. He came into the picture literally, when we took our first trip to lobby for NSBA in Washington DC. Abbi wasn't able to come with us -school and all- and she was quite upset. As some compensation we took a stuffed dog she had and took lots of pictures with him. Rover was in front of the White House and at the Lincoln Memorial etc... He since has accompanied us on lots of trips. Rover has now been to DC, VT, NY, FL, NH, and now Canada. Rover goes to the beech, hangs out at the pool, plays air hockey, goes to museums, and sees the sights. All in all, he is a good travel companion. He never complains, we never have to pay to get him into anything, he can ride in the glove compartment or your pocket, and he is very photogenic.

The gorge from the Niagara River outside our hotel room.

Abbi admires the view.
It is a long way down there.

This is pretty cool, but wait 'till we get to the actual falls
Cae and Rover are ready to check it out.
At the edge.
Clint admires the view.
Even on a warm sunny day we all had to put on long sleeves.

That is a lot water!
The tunnel underneath /behind the falls.

Fashion statement.
Maid Of The Mist

The deck from the bottom of the falls.
Look at all of the soggy tourists
Clint points out the falls to Cae
Please disregard the water spots.
Soggy Rover.

Cae and I get wet.
Clint corals Cae while Abbi holds a wet Rover.
Aren't we the soggy little bunch?
Rover drys out back on the top.
We cross the bridge leaving the falls.




1 comment:

Gretchen said...

I love the Rover bit. I didn't do it on purpose, but I have this one huge green plaid shirt that I used to wear a lot and one day realized it was in at least some of my vacation pictures all throughout the 90's as well as more recently. It had been to England, Colorado, and numerous trips to Houston and DC. Then one trip the airlines lost my luggage. That shirt was the one thing I wanted back because it had been everywhere with me. Luckily I got it back. It's still in my closet even though I don't think I've really worn it since.

Contributors