Monday, June 25, 2012

A Stand Up Guy

Clint and Pam Wedding Scans 042

 

Dr. Martin Luther King once said “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” 7 years ago today a man stood with me in front of all those we hold dear and promised to keep standing by me for as long as we both shall live and stand he has. For the past 7 years he has done exactly that- stand. He has stood next to me in schools, doctor’s offices, emergency rooms, surgical suites, and beside graves. He has stood at heated city council meetings, school board meetings and public forums of all kinds. He has stood next to me at weddings, births, birthdays, and deaths. He has stood for hours in the middle of the night holding a screaming child, stood next to various oxygen tents, and stood with me ankle deep in wrapping paper, hay, pumpkins, and snow. We have stood in blood, vomit, pee, poop, and mud. He has stood with me on the soil of 15 different states and 2 countries. He has stood with me on the dirt my grandfather bought in 1941 and he has stood with me while I cut the ribbon on a new school building. He has stood to push brooms, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, and snow blowers. He has stood to wash dishes, fold laundry, and cook meals. He has stood in lines at grocery stores, outside fitting rooms, and in shoe stores. He has stood next to me pounding nails, pouring concrete, painting, and hanging siding. He has stood in lines at museums, airports, train stations, and to ride roller coasters. He has stood on the edges of shovels to dig foundations and to plant everything from tomatoes to trees. He has stood on ladders and roofs. He has stood in the rain, sun, and snow. He has stood with me in creeks, lakes, rivers, and the ocean. He has stood to pick apples, decorate Christmas trees, and hide Easter eggs. Has stood and held me up when I was sure I couldn’t stand anymore, that my knees would surely buckle from fear, exhaustion, or grief and showed me that I could stand as long as he was standing next to me. He stood next to me cutting cake for a sweet 16, at driver training tests, watching twirls in a dress for a dance, and as we watched a teenager leave the house on her first date. He has stood at a kindergarten round up, at play dates in the park, ankle deep in sand boxes, at parent teacher conferences, and IEP’s. He has stood with me at secretary of state signing titles on 9 different vehicles. He stood with a 2x4 over his head 15 feet off the ground and calmly told me to adjust my aim when I shot him with a nail gun. He has stood next to me with rescue inhalers, and gauze applying pressure to pouring blood. He has stood next to me and calmly instructed someone struggling to get a needle in my arm. He has stood next to me examining dozens of x-rays and CT scans. He has stood with me on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and in the offices of our federal senators and representatives while we lobbied for causes we believe in. He has stood with me in court rooms, to have petitions signed, and in voting booths. He stood with me in a steam shower in a hospital room with a baby that couldn’t breathe and he stood next to me while I was cut open and stitched back together while bringing a baby into the world. He as stood with me on mountains in 11 different mountain ranges. He has stood with me on boats, trains, and planes. He has stood with me in the dark and cold of power outages, in storms and wind. He has stood to pitch tents and share bonfires. He has stood in piles of colored leaves and on blades of spring grass. For seven years in contentment and exhaustion, in rain and sun, in cold and warmth, in joy and sorrow, in elation and grief, he has stood never wavering always steady. On this day of the anniversary of our wedding I can state with deep gratitude and complete confidence that I know exactly where he stands because every day for 7 years come strife or bliss he stood committed, enduringly, unwaveringly, next to me and for this I am grateful beyond my ability to quantify. Clinton Christopher Conley I love you without measure. Thank you for always standing by me.

No comments:

Contributors