Saturday, July 7, 2012

Veteran’s Day 2011

"I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask, 'Mother, what was war?'" -Eve Merriam

I hope with everything I have that my children will never have to go off to fight a war. I am sure every mother has that refrain pound across her heart but sadly many are not so fortunate to see that hope realized. I can’t imagine standing in my grandmother’s shoes watching her two oldest sons being shipped off to untold regions to fight in World War Two not knowing if and when the war would end and would it take her two younger sons as well. My dad and my Uncle Foster both made it home and the war ended before my Uncles Lester and Ron turned 18. It didn’t end, however, before my dad did a walk across Burma with General Merrill or landed on the beach at Okinawa in the middle of a typhoon. My dad was a surgical tech. whose job it was to glue wounded soldiers back together with the limited technology and medicine they had in WWII.  I have heard the quote "In war, there are no unwounded soldiers." by Jose Narosky and I am sure it is quite true. With that knowledge I believe we need to state our gratitude and appreciation for all those who serve or have served our country. The people representing me in The US Congress and In the Executive branch regularly take military action I do not agree with but I believe we need to support the men and women who selflessly carry out that action as a mater of serving our country. It is in that spirit I teach a lesson in my class room on “What is the difference between a right and a freedom?” and I sent my son to school number #2 with a book to share in honor of Grandpa Bob and all our Vets. Yes “A” is for America even when we disagree with actions taken. Lynne Cheney, the former 2nd Lady, wrote this sweet little primer with patriotic statements for each letter of the alphabet and Caelun was very excited to take it to school and share it with his classmates. Thank you to all our vets across time for your service and your sacrifice. And may the words of Oliver Wendell Holmes"Lord, bid war's trumpet cease; Fold the whole earth in peace."  come to pass.

 

image

 

2011-11-11 First snow Vets day 0012011-11-11 First snow Vets day 0022011-11-11 First snow Vets day 0032011-11-11 First snow Vets day 0042011-11-11 First snow Vets day 0052011-11-11 First snow Vets day 006

No comments:

Contributors