Monday, July 9, 2012

Gobble ‘Til You Wobble -Thanksgiving 2011

“He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has." - Epictetus

I love Thanksgiving. I love holidays in general but Thanksgiving is one of my favorites. First off I love that it is about food. Who can knock a holiday that is about delicious food? Secondly I love the conversations about gratitude. There is a lot of data that says that an attitude of gratitude helps with depression and anxiety and an over all sense of well being. I can’t help but to be overwhelmed with thankfulness when I sit down to a table over flowing with food, with people I love, in a warm dry house, in a quiet little town where neighbors are kind. I have shelves of books and the ability to read them. I have a comfortable bed, a reliable van that carts around the people I care about, access to to good health care when I need it. I have a hard working husband who loves me selflessly, smart, healthy, children with endless possibilities in front of them, a career I love that lets me build relationships with amazing people while using my brain. On top of all of that I have 2 cuddly cats, and almost every kitchen appliance known to human kind. Can it possibly get any better? Every year at Thanksgiving I roll the inventory and ask that same question and unbelievably every year it does get better. Every year the list of amazing people and things that have entered my life grows.  To say I am grateful beyond measure doesn’t even begin to cover it. For all of this I certainly need a holiday to celebrate.

 

Caelun made this at school #1- yep he is his parents child.

2011-11-24 Thanksgiving 010

Thanksgiving dinner at my parents new house. Dad still does most of the cooking. I make the turkey with stuffing since it is heavy for him to lift and I did a corn casserole per- request of my husband but at 85- almost 86 dad did the rest.

2011-11-24 Thanksgiving 0012011-11-24 Thanksgiving 002

My mother at the table

2011-11-24 Thanksgiving 003

Grandpa Bob getting the wild man seated.

2011-11-24 Thanksgiving 0042011-11-24 Thanksgiving 0062011-11-24 Thanksgiving 007

Grandpa Bob and Cae Cae working off some of their dinner.

2011-11-24 Thanksgiving 011

2011-11-24 Thanksgiving 0122011-11-24 Thanksgiving 013

No comments:

Contributors